Wednesday 6 March 2013

Week 166 - Ricoh R1

Ricoh R1 by pho-Tony
Ricoh R1, a photo by pho-Tony on Flickr.
This is a new acquisition, I've already run one film through it to see if it works. The camera was also sold as the "Rollei Prego Micron". Mine is not fully functional, the flash no longer works, but the electronic shutter stays open for up to 2 seconds if needed. The interesting thing about the camera for me is the dual lens, which has focal lengths of 30mm and 24mm, selected by an additional element sliding into place. Originally the 24mm setting switches to "panoramic" format with internal masks, but these are easily disabled to allow a full frame image, albeit with blurry vignetted edges. I've loaded it with some expired ISO50 Fuji slide film which I will cross-process.

2 comments:

  1. I picked one of these up a few weeks back. it killed the first roll I put in so I'm giving it another go. The lcd doesn't show up always, either. It think its common for these to break...

    I also have a gr1s and its interesting to compare how similar they are in design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this project. I use a few different cameras but mine are all digital. I do have various old 35mm and medium format cameras on my shelf and I might have to dust them off.....

    http://teywu.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete